7/31/09

70s Artifact #2: Topps Baseball Cards

When I was a kid, baseball cards weren't merely collectors items—they represented an alternative system of currency for young boys.

Like the use of cigarettes in prison, they were tokens of agreed-upon value in environments—like Marzolff Elementary School and my back yard—where woefully little real money could be found.

Baseball cards were "fungible:" Easily substituted for tater tots or Twizzlers at suprisingly consistent values. An elaborate but uncodified system existed for the valuation of baseball cards that involved age of card, quality of the player, and team. As we lived in Pittsburgh, any player for the Pirates was automatically highly valued.

Most of my "liquid assets" were tied up in baseball cards. Packs could be purchased for a quarter at the grocery store or department store—a cheap way of buying my silence for 15 minutes or so. In the middle of cards was a stick of calcified bubble gum that literally broke into shards when you bit down on it.

If our boyish economy was built on baseball cards, our "means of production" was too often whining to our moms to buy us a pack of cards, an earnings strategy that tended to be frustrated by my mother's perverse stinginess and willfulness. Even then she was a radical rightwinger, advising me instead to "save my allowance."

Laughable.

At the time, my friends were building vast empires of cards they would show off to me when I'd visit their houses, which they usually kept very orderly separated by year and team in shoeboxes. I actually went through the effort of separating mine by team and year and sorting them alphabetically!

In fourth grade, bent on empire but stymied by my mother's bourgeois attitudes, I decided to make my fortune another way: By gambling. There were two forms of baseball gambling, Knocksies and Flipsies.

In Flipsies, two players faced off, the first player dropping a card from chin-height. The card would fall to the floor, gently fluttering as it flipped side to side. The second player would then drop his card, hoping to match heads on heads or tails on tails. If successful, he earned the right to take both cards. If not, the first player claimed the cards.

Knocksies, on the other hand, was more action-oriented. I favored it. Each player lined an equal number of cards against the wall (the number of cards often a matter of testy argument.) Each player would then flick a card with their wrist at the cards, one at a time, claiming all the cards each player knocked down.

Through skill, determination, and luck, I was eventually able to amass a respectable fortune of over 15,000 cards! It helped that in the 80s my newly pinko mother began buying me sets for the entire year for my birthday.

When I moved out of the house, the cards were neatly stacked in the corner of my parent's garage. You can imagine my pain when, years later, when I was living in Oregon, my mother casually mentioned during a phone call that they had had a minor flood.

"Your cards all got ruined," she said, a bit apologetically. At the time, I was posing as a guy who didn't care about, you know, things, man. Still I'm sure the halt in my voice was unmistakeable before saying, "Guess I shouldn't have left them on the floor."

In truth, despite my stoic pose, vast holdings of nostalgia had suddenly gone up in thin air— a devastating bull bear market on memory that left me feeling impoverished for days.


13 comments:

  1. Great story!
    I collected football cards for awhile but never got into it that heavily. Comic books on the other hand...I had a terrific collection and reverently kept them in a huge special box placed on the top shelf of my bedroom closet.

    When I came home from my freshman year of college, my mom casually told me that she had cleaned my closet out and thrown away a lot of junk. After frantically checking, I saw that my special box had been categorized as "junk."

    Many years later when my own son was into comics and collectible cards, we were at a shop and I was dismayed to see the prices for many of the same comics that I had owned in my long lost collection going for $25-$200 dollars each. Oh the heartache!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob --
    This is beautifully done. Crosses lots of nostalgia before and beyond the 70s. I've vowed never to clean out my children's rooms without their permission. Too many people have terrible heartache stories attached to their mothers' definition of junk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that the flood ruined thousands of dollars worth of cards, but by that time I had stopped really being a baseball fan.

    Pittsburgh is naturally a sports-obsessed place, however, and so young boys are naturally obsessive to begin with. We would actually quiz each other on the stats on the back of the cards.

    In the scheme of things, however, there were dearer things to me than baseball cards-- but it was still painful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina,

    Thanks. At some point, anything you have kept after a certain number of years becomes precious. I happen to be moving tonight, packing up all my boxes, and it's a good opportunity to obsess about some old junk.

    I think your policy about your kid's stuff is a sound one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob - I enjoyed the story. So sorry about your cards. The fact that you earned them through skillful betting probably made it all the harder. I remember when I lined up my favorite toys on the stairs and when I came home, my dog had chewed them to bits. That was a long time ago. There are other things that were special to me that seem to have gotten lost. I never throw anything away so I have all kinds of junk, but not what I really want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, the trash/treasure paradox. I have a roomful of crap in my parent's house which my mother begs me to purge. I'm crippled by thoughts like, "Maybe I could sell this" and "What if I need this one day?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your description of the shattered, pink bubble gum sticks. I recall eating those, too, but am not sure where I got them. I used to collect New Kids on the Block cards, but I don't think they came with gum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Sadly, I just don't think cards of any kind are around anymore. Even in the mid to late 80s, my younger brother collected cards of many varieties: Ghostbusters, WWF Wrestling and the ever-popular Desert Storm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms. Memoirs... I'm not so sure I'd call the betting "skillful." But stories about dogs chewing up treasured toys are immensely sad. This is why I over document with way too many photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicole-- which was your favorite NKOTB?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn... I remember those Desert Storm cards! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just noticed the "bull" comment at the end of your post. I think you mean bear. Bear market = down market. Bull market = up market.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ms. Media, you're absolutely right. Thanks! I should probably change the whole phrase; it's clumsy...

    ReplyDelete

Hey, man, wanna rap?