7/14/09

The 70s: Victim of bad film stock

I have a theory that memories of particular eras are seen through the filter of the prevailing film stock of the time. It is as if the memory loses track of what was observed first hand and what was recollected later with photographic help.

I suspect that my recollection of the last ten years will always maintain the flat, luminous quality of digital photography--a reality so upclose and shimmering it begins to seem unreal.

Memories of the 80s and 90s, on the other hand, have a fussy solidity that seems nervous and defensive. Every shape is stamped in heavily saturated hues, as if to say, "Everything is back to normal now, right?"

I even have ex post facto memories of the 50s and 60s, an inherited awareness of those years when my parents were younger than I am now, a hint of mischief in their eyes as they seek a measure of youthful joy in a world as stiff and rigid as crew cut.

But it is the bleary, kaleidoscopic images of the 70s--blurred and faded in shades of yellow and orange, as if they had been soaked in water--that I tend linger. It is their utter unreality, their sense of ghostliness, that creates a seemingly unbridgeable distance to my childhood.

The truth is that what I now know about the time in which I grew up--a decade of exhaustion, decadence, and malaise--fails to match up with what I personally remember. Had I known then that it was a worthless time, perhaps I would have spent less time wandering around in blissful ignorance.

Beyond the carnivalesque swirl of my childhood memories were cultural currents that were frightening, electrifying, and ultimately unsustainable. This blog is an attempt to fill in the gaps of those faded memories--to make sense of a time that feels impossibly insubstantial 30 years down the road.



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing! It is strange how older siblings and even parents influence ones memories of times that preceded ones own awareness. I look forward to your future musings-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just discussing the economic situation(s) in the seventies with my father; I wanted to know whether he thought it was worse then or now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa... I plan on fabricating entirely uninformed but plausible sounding posts about 1970s economics.

    My short answer is that, though this may not feel as bad as the recession(s) of the 70s--it did sort of feel like the nation kind of gave up for a few years-- but that this one is graver because there are now more other countries that can benefit from our stumble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kemuel, thank you. Now that I got the dreamy bit out of the way, it's going to be nothing but Led Zeppelin album covers from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice writing. But I must admit I tend toward the filmstock of the 30s and 40s -- all that wonderful black and white play with lighting (Film Noir, et al.). And those were some interesting economic times as well. Look forward to your "uninformed but plausible" economic analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get the lead out! Now you’re talking. Some of the greatest hard rock, not to mention Ballads, of all time came out of the 70s. Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Aerosmith, etc. I always say that the music of the 1970s was not only some of the best rock of all time, but defined and influenced the genre for evermore… “and she’s buying a stairway to heaven…”

    ReplyDelete
  7. "One wonders how much bloodshed and financial ruin could have been avoided had the American people actually had been as decent as their leader."
    This statement of yours got me thinking about politics, something I currently try to avoid. I have always voted in every national and local election, but have become increasingly jaded and despondent about our democracy. I lived through Jimmy Carter’s presidency and I believe he was one of the most honest and decent men (since we can’t seem to elect a woman…) that we have ever had in the oval office. On the other hand, I also believe he was one of the most ineffective presidents that we have ever had.
    It appears to me that the qualities and behaviors required to gain the presidency: money, connections, lobbyists, being photogenic, ability to lie, not making hard decisions, ect., are dominating the process to such an extent that good people have less and less a chance to become president, nor would they want the position. Oh well, on the bright side you can get more HD channels than ever-That’s America!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting take on nostalgia. Our memories are often so visual, like film and photography, so it's no wonder you have ex post facto memories of eras in which you didn't live (50s and 60s). I have them as well, just from seeing print and film publications of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, man, wanna rap?